[78-L] Keynote Kuriosity

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 10 14:50:23 PDT 2009

Chorus, Choir, Potato, Tomato. The likely explanation is that Keynote had a few
singles by the group and decided to combine some of them in an album. My set
contains K201, K208, K209 and K210. The lyrics for all are printed in the
album, so these are the intended sides, even if not all of them say K103 on the
label (and K209 and K210 don't). The titles vary as well.."If Tomorrow Brings
War" in the printed lyrics, "If War Breaks Out Tomorrow" on the label.

K201 is the only disc to show Keynote numbers in the dead grooves. The others
all show the original USSR issue numbers. All were dubbed at Reeves from USSR
original pressings which were imported for sale at the NY World's Fair in 1939
(the records showed up but the Soviets didn't, and when the original pressings
sold out, "Stinson Trading Company" had new masters cut and began selling them
with nameless labels similar to the Russian labels, and obviously leased or
traded masters to Keynote).

If K207 says Set 103 on the label, somebody was confused..! What songs are on it?

dl