[78-L] Talking about vinyl...

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 8 06:29:24 PDT 2009

The rest of the story is just as entertaining....

How someone thought of turning it into phonograph records is beyond us.  The
33-1/3 RPM speed also gave poor fidelity but for a movie sound track, who
cared?  People were used to silent films, so any sound was an improvement.  The
grooves were a little bit narrower and the records still wore out quickly, even
with shellac.  But shellac worked fine for 78 RPM singles with their wider grooves.

           By the late 1920's, records had become electronically recorded and
played back.  Now you could listen in better fidelity through a speaker instead
of acoustically through that big horn.  Better sound quality meant more record
sales.  Music on two new media, electronically recorded discs and radio, was a
welcomed distraction from the economic woes of the country.

            Thus, the media of choice became the 10", 78-RPM shellac single.
It was heavy and very breakable.  But it was the best we had at the time.

           In 1931, RCA Victor tried, and failed, to introduce a 12" 33 1/3
RPM, long playing record, made out of something called Vitrolac.  The grooves
were twice as narrow, and the records wore out very quickly.  Also, they
required a special new record player which cost hundreds of dollars - nobody
could afford it during the Depression.

           Then, in 1933, a Bakelite research chemist named Frazier Groff, made
a major discovery.  He found that a class of polymers called vinyl could be
used to make phonograph records.  Vinyl records were less breakable and could
be made more flexible and at lighter weight.  More important, vinyl didn’t wear
down so fast, even when the grooves were made very narrow!

           By the mid 1930's, some radio transcriptions were being made of
vinyl.  These were usually 16", 33 1/3 RPM, and contained 6 recordings per
side.  Vinyl was still not offered to the public because it was too expensive.

           Then something happened that forever changed the face of recorded
sound.  It was called World War II.  The U.S. War Department created the V-Disc
program to ship records to military personnel overseas.  In spite of careful
packing, many of the shellac V-Discs were arriving broken.  The V-Disc program
quickly switched to vinyl V-Discs.  Within the U.S., private record
manufacturers were having trouble getting shellac during the war.  What limited
supplies of shellac were available had to be extended with filler which created
some mighty noisy recordings.  To survive, record manufacturers had to find new
record pressing materials, even if they were more expensive.  Some began making
vinyl 78’s.

           In 1948, Columbia introduced the 33-1/3 RPM Vinyl LP.  It cost more
than a 78, but you got 12 songs instead of 2 on one lightweight, unbreakable
disc.  The grooves were very narrow (microgrooves) and required a special
diamond-tipped stylus, instead of a metal needle.  And you needed a new record
player ... or you could adapt your old player.  The first LP's were 10" in
diameter to fit on the modified 78 RPM turntables.  Later they became 12".

           Columbia wanted the entire record industry to standardize on the 33
1/3 speed and format.  In April 1948, Columbia president William S. Paley
called a meeting with David Sarnoff, president of Columbia’s chief rival, RCA
Victor.  Paley proposed RCA switch to the vinyl 33 1/3 LP format also.  Sarnoff
didn’t want to be paying licensing fees to Columbia for pressing RCA records
until RCA could build its own 33 1/3 RPM pressing plants.  But he did realize
the future of recorded music was in vinyl.  He refused the deal and asked his
engineers to put a rush on a project they’d started and dropped ten years
earlier, the vinyl 45 RPM single.

           On March 31, 1949, RCA Victor introduced its answer to Columbia, the
7" vinyl 45 RPM single.  The project had been reactivated only a year before.
RCA’s top secret development project was referred to as Madame X.  The “45” was
smaller, also less breakable, and had a large center hole for playing on RCA’s
new record player.  The player was a small, inexpensive record changer that
could be plugged into any music console.  It allowed 45's to be stacked and
played in succession.  78's stacked like that would break.  The great "War Of
The Speeds" was on!

         Eventually, RCA dropped the different colors of vinyl in favor of all
black vinyl.

          In answer to Columbia's long-playing (LP) album, RCA produced the 45
RPM Box Set.  These included 3-5 records by the same artist, in a hard
cardboard box, often with liner notes.

          In answer to RCA’s 7” vinyl singles, Columbia started issuing 7” 33
1/3 vinyl singles with small holes.  These didn’t last very long and were soon
discontinued.

          Columbia and RCA Victor began actively courting other labels to sign
on with their technologies.  Record labels were quick to line up with either
RCA or Columbia or both.  Some labels hedged their bets and began producing
45’s, 33’s and 78’s.  With the introduction of any new recording format, record
labels go deep into their vaults and reissue older material in the new form.
After all, they can resell old classics to the same people who bought them the
first time, with no additional studio or mastering costs.

           By the end of 1951, both RCA and Columbia gave in and began
producing both 45's and 33's.  It turned out that both formats could coexist.
The Great War of the Speeds was over.

           The 45 RPM single was to a large part responsible for the Rhythm &
Blues and Rock & Roll Age of the 1950’s.  Teenagers could carry a lightweight
stack of 45’s to a party and put them on an automatic changer.  Records dropped
down in the desired order and created their own dance party.  Older 78’s would
have just broken.

          While LP’s and cassette tapes became more popular in the 1970’s,
vinyl 45’s remained popular until replaced by CD’s in the 1980’s.  Eventually
music became digital.  Yet many people still feel vinyl gives a fuller, warmer
sound.  Vinyl records are still being made.  And vinyl 45’s will always have a
home in the Classic urban Harmony Archives.  Long live the 45!

dl