[78-L] no vinyl on the Victrola? Well sorta... - was "New media" for Victrolas?...

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 20:07:14 PDT 2009

V-Discs were "vinyl," and while I'm no expert on them, having recently seen one at a flea market and got to examine it pretty well, it appears that they made at least some V-Disc players that were 100% mechanical, just like the ol' Victrola, wind-up motor, acoustical playback head, steel needles and all.

in 1960 one of my little playmates got a new record player and it had an electric motor that played 33/45/75 and also had an acoustical head and used straight steel shank needles.  I can only imagine what it must have done for the Chubby Checker Lps his sister played on it.  This is not a recommendation, only a report.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.