[78-L] More on cleaning lacquers

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com
Tue Oct 6 10:46:40 PDT 2009

Hi Cary,

There are a any number of ways you could wet a record groove with
cleaning fluid.  Brief soaking can be helpful in special cases, such
as heavy palmitic acid residues, but we've not found it to be a
reliable  approach to thorough cleaning.  Even the "best" fluid brew
needs to be agitated sufficiently to well wash the groove walls.  No
different than a wash rag or water spray applying dish washing liquids
to a dinner plate or putting the plate in an ultrasonic bath.

In the mid -1980s unable to find an acceptable applicator for both
shellac & vinyl discs,  we developed a brush specifically for the
purpose of cleaning phonograph records irrespective of common media or
record/label size.

Even with an adequate fluid & applicator, the most consistent &
effective results required brief sectional cleaning with a back &
forth motion.

I can only recommend the appropriate size of our wet cleaning brush.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

On Oct 5, 2009, at 10:54 AM, Cary Ginell wrote:

> Looks like I'm on the right track then. The paint brush applicator,
> however, doesn't seem to get the detergent into the grooves fully.
> Will letting the solution sit for a while help this? Or should I use
> something else to apply the liquid?
>

> Cary Ginell

H D Goldman Lagniappe Chemicals Ltd.
PO Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 USA