[78-L] OT: Instrumental B-sides to singles

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 5 15:09:38 PDT 2009

At 16:17 05/10/2009, you wrote:
>Just "tossers", yes, but not to the people who wrote them! To them they
>meant royalties. For a hit -A side that translates as lots and lots of
>royalties for(mostly) mediocre work.

Phil Spector was of course famous for putting some odd bit of
instrumental on the b-side specifically to focus everything to the A-side.

Who can remember:

Flip & Nitty (the flip of Philles 107 Bob B.Soxx and the Blue
Jeans-Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah)
Dr.Kaplan's Office (the flip of Philles 110-Bob B.Soxx and the Blue
Jeans-Why Do Lovers Break Each Others' Hearts?)
Git' It (the flip of Philles 112-The Crystals-Da Doo Ron Ron)
Brother Julius (the flip of Philles 114-The Crystals-Then He Kissed Me)
Tedesco and Pitman (the flip of Philles 116-The Ronettes-Be My Baby)
Nino & Sonny(Big Trouble) (the flip of Philles 117-Darlene Love-A
Fine,Fine Boy)
Miss Joan & Mr. Sam (the flip of Philles 118-the Ronettes-Baby,I Love You

Phil really knew how to manipulate things, and for my money, the
ultimate is of course Philles 111 -- (Let's Dance) The Screw by the
Crystals, which was Phil's way to end his contractual obligation to
Lester Sill.

And just to keep it on topic -- any early Philles on 78 anywhere
--India? Philippines? South America?