[78-L] OT: Instrumental B-sides to singles

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 5 13:48:06 PDT 2009

At 18:45 05/10/2009, Kristjan wrote:
>Many of these instrumental B-sides were just as good or better than the
>A-sides.

Indeed!

One anomaly to this is where the a-side was  the instro and the
b-side was the vocal:

Phil L.A. of Soul # 313
Cliff Nobles
The Horse b/w Love Is All Right

Love is All Right is great vocal version of The Horse

Phil L.A. of Soul had another strange tune like this. Phil L.A. of
Soul # 305  by The Fantastic Johnny C was
Boogaloo Down Broadway b/w Look What Love Can Make You Do. Look What
Love Can Make You Do was the same backing track with completely
different kyrics.

I heard the B-side of The Horse played by Big Jay Sorenson on his
'Time Machine' in the waning days of WNBC. I then played it on my
show about a week later (not so he'd know as I was on a 100watt day
timer many kilometeres  away!). That lead me to flipping Booglaoo
Down Broadway the follwing week as part of an undiscovered gems
segment. Yeah -- try to get them to do that on Bob-FM or Jack-FM or
whathevr -- right -- we play anything my a$$!

Both smashing tracks