[78-L] ~Re: A "Goons" 78...?!

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Oct 3 21:06:00 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> At 03:36 03/10/2009, DL wrote:
>>Interesting, in that THE GOONS as such were recording for Decca in
>>1956-57 but
>>the various members were recording for other labels. I've had these two
>>sides
>>on lp (Dark Side Of The Goon) for years but never seen the original
>>labels and
>>didn't know about the "Goons Disc" designation.
>
> I don't know exactly how or why the Goons migrated from Decca to
> Parlophone (and then eventually to BBC Records for programme
> compilations), but one can only imagine that the solo efforts of
> Peter Sellers and his relationship with George Martin had a lot to do
> with it. Perhaps this would be one of the grey-area releases where
> negociations where underway to move to the EMI family, and they
> couldn't credit the record the 'The Goons' as such. Legally though
> the designation GOON DISC (note that GOON is singular) could be used
> to sway the audience in as much as only one Goon was credited even
> though all were present and uncredited. I could also be speaking rubbish!
>
> The Goons last charted in the UK singles chart in September 1956 with
> Bloodnock's Rock n Roll Call b/w The Ying Tong Song on Decca F.10780
> and made it number 3. Actually, I fib a little there as a 45 rpm
> reissue in 1973  charted at #9 in July (Decca F.13414) with The Ying
> Tong Song on the top side.
> I put the count at 4 discs (singles) on Decca and 1 on Parlophone.

I became a SERIOUS fan of the "Goons" after buying a book featuring
a compilation of their radio scripts! There exists a tradition of British
humour exemplified by Monty Python as well as earlier participants;
some years ago CJRT used to broadcast such material mid-Saturday
Mornings! Too many US "comedians" have a nasty tendency to "work
blue" (where the humour is based on "F-bombs"...?!)...on the assumption
that the "F-word" is in and of itself funny...?! Were that actually true, I
could create a brand-new comedy routine every time I fall down my
front steps...?!

OTOH, I have a HUGE (mental) collection of old "dirty songs"...ranging
from "Waltz Me Around Again, Willie" (better known as "The Ball Of
Kerriemuir!")...including an Australian ditty..."The Wild West Show!"

Comment ca va...?!

Steven C. Barr