[78-L] Alec Templeton

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Oct 2 20:14:11 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Michael Biel wrote:
>> I was discussing the similarity between Victor Borge and Alex Templeton
>> on the Old Time Radio Digest and realized that not too many OTR people
>> know who Templeton was or have ever heard him.  There are a couple of
>> YouTube plays of his records that I can refer them to (including an
>> acoustical playback of "Man With A New Radio" that I think they will
>> enjoy)  but is there now or has there ever been a CD reissue of
>> Templeton records?
> I did this one at least fifteen years ago and it's been due for new
> transfers
> for a long time, but I've never been able to interest any other label in
> doing
> it. Pearl is dormant and these are claimed to be the "last copies".

Well, given good luck (seldom experienced here...?!) and a favourable
tail-wind...it is my intention to revive the "Van Dyke" label (I've already
issued one of my blues recordings thereon...?!), which will mainly
consist of the contents of my half-vast shellac archive...?! However,
this may not be much help to Mr. Lennick...since I am NOT that
familiar with CD sound, I remain convinced that modern-day
"de-noising" is entirely TOO aggressive! 78's are SUPPOSED to
sound like that...dammit, folkses?!

Steven C. Barr