[78-L] Upcoming Steinweiss book

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Sep 29 05:06:26 PDT 2009

Normal paper sleeves not for specific 78 records but for groups of records were those
picturing the artist.
For ex., Al Jolson Brunswick sleeve. Pic on front & record listing on back.
Also front with Chaplin, and photos of Chaplin in the Recording Studio on back.

There was an RCA Vic sleeve with "The Story of Glenn Miller" on back (50s, after film?).
There was a specific sleeve for RCA Vic 15-1004 (Heritage Series, Caruso), a 1946 reissue, though without picture.
Very early Victor Melba sleeve with photo.

I have some faint remembrances of early operatic records with pasted on photographs, on sleeves or labels, but can't trace the images. Anyone knows the label and cat.nrs?

Han Enderman
===
>>> Michael Biel wrote:
> Other than kids records, can you cite examples of lighter weight
> "'picture sleeves' used for specific 78 discs" prior to the introduction
> of the Lp in 1948??????

The Bluebird and at least one Victor 3-disc sets that came in packets in the
late 30s..the ones I'm thinking of may have been Christmas sets and may not
have had specific illustrations other than lettering and design.

Meade Lux Lewis's 2-disc set "The Blues" on Blue Note came in a packet, heavier
weight (more like 6pt card).

dl
<<<