[78-L] Tom Lehrer question (borderline ^)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Sep 27 23:50:59 PDT 2009

Michael Shoshani wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 11:24 -0400, David Lennick wrote:
>
>> Yesterday at the Kingston Symphony rummage sale I picked up "An Evening Wasted
>> with Tom Lehrer" on English Decca SKL 4097..right, stereo. Aside from TL 202S,
>> the original 1959 issue on Lehrer's own label, is this the only genuine stereo
>> issue? Reprise apparently issued it in fake stereo and Rhino used that master,
>> then reduced it to mono, per the extensive TL discography below.
>>

> Believe it or not, the box set "Remains of Tom Lehrer" contains "And
> Evening Wasted" in its stereo version.

I believe it is the edited version, edited to match the Reprise mono and
fake stereo.  I believe that only the Decca Eclipse CD has it in stereo
unedited.
> The only TL record that was ever issued in stereo at one point that has
> not seen a stereo release since its original LP issue is his second
> album, "More of Tom Lehrer".   Despite its late release (1960), his
> other live album, "Tom Lehrer Revisited", was never released in stereo
> at all.
>
> MS

I don't think Revisited was recorded in stereo, especially the
Australian recording.  Since the U.S. LP used one side from Australia,
they wouldn't have done one side mono and the other side stereo, and I
think that English Decca would have issued it in stereo if it had been
recorded, because they were using both sides from the U.S. concert.   I
have never seen stereo copies of either of the two Lehrer label albums
issued as such, and I was looking for them at the time!  If I had found
them I surely would have bought them, and if I had ever seen any I
wouuld have remembered that GREAT logo that is now visible in the
illustrations in the discography!  Go and look at them if you haven't
seen them, I don't think the stereo covers were there until recently.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com