[78-L] Upcoming Steinweiss book

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Sep 27 23:36:02 PDT 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> [...]

This had been answered a long time ago.  We're talking about a decade
earlier than the 1948 Columbia microgroove Lp, in the 78 era.  But as
for Lps, Columbia was NOT the first to introduce illustrated LP covers,
Decca and Capitol must have preceded them.  From their very first LPs
they were in cardboard illustrated covers with the rear notes wrapped
around the cardboard and the front cover slick pasted on the front (with
an occasional example like Hark the Years having the slick front wrapped
around the edges and the rear pasted onto the cover afterwards.  Even
here the Steinweiss books are claiming that HE had developed this kind
of Lp cover when it is obvious that Decca and Capitol had done it first.

By the way, it is a lot more efficient to start at the end of the list
messages when coming in after a period of time away from the computer so
you can check if things have been answered already and you can add onto
the earlier answers rather than starting a parallel set of answers long
after the first set.

>  The early "album jackets,"
> being heavier versions of the "picture sleeves" used for specific 78rpm
> discs,

Other than kids records, can you cite examples of lighter weight
"'picture sleeves' used for specific 78 discs" prior to the introduction
of the Lp in 1948??????
> included only the basic information on the LP record they
> contained...composer,
> selection title and catalog number. In a few years, artist-created
> illustrations
> replaced these simple designs...and advertising/promotion departments
> realized they had a 12.?"/12.?" canvas upon which they could create promo
> to their wildest desires!!
>
> Give an aspiring artist a 1' x 1' canvas, and guaranteed (often
> substantial!)
> payment for filling that space...and results are DEFINITELY expected...?!
>
> Note that these were directly descended from the ACTUAL "album
> covers" created for the front (hard-board) pages of 78rpm record
> sets, nominally issued as "albums!"
>
> Steven C. Barr

THIS IS WHAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT.  ILLUSTRATED ALBUM COVERS FOR 78S,
not the LP sleeves.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com