[78-L] I don't get the "joke."

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Sep 27 18:59:33 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>> If anyone wants to murder my landlady...and the two Jamaican-wannabe
>> negroes
>> who were hired for the so-called "clean up"...you would have my eternal
>> gratitude
> Just curious about this remark...would you have preferred to have her hire
> white people to throw out your stuff?  If not,  what was the purpose of
> mentioning "negroes"?  Or was this an attempt to be "funny"?

To answer your question...
First, her hiring Black guys to "clean up" (AKA throw away as much of my
belongings as possible?!) created an extra and, IMO, unnecessary level of
tension! The harsh realities of 21st-century racism have left many, if not
most, "Black" individuals with an inherent anger directed toward we white
people...so that an opportunity to over-rule a "honky" as to what went
into the dumpster (or not?!) was an opportunity for revenge against all of
us white oppressors...?!

Second, my experience with those of Jamaican descent suggests that
their main goal in life is to smoke as much "ganga" as feasible...and these
"hired help" guys spent every opportunity they could arrange to sit out
on my front verandah and enthusiastically "smoke up" on joints about
the size of Ohio!

Realize that I was raised (oddly enough?!) to NOT be "racist?!" (NOT
common in Chicago in the 1940's?!). However, the more I am made
aware of "current events," the more I grudgingly see a rationale for
what is now called "racism?!"

I don't have the sociological/anthropological background to accurately
identify the details; however, each day's "current events" seem to identify
Black individuals as perpetrators...?! I will agree that there exist past
events which explain this; however, when I speak as a city-dweller, hoping
to continue living, I HAVE to run headlong into statistics-justified
realities...?!

Comment ca va?!

Steven C. Barr