[78-L] MAJESTIC Records questions

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 26 03:00:14 PDT 2009

david.diehl at hensteeth.com wrote:
Mercury purchased the entire Majestic Record operation in 1948,
including Bob Fine's brand new studio. Mercury kept the Alfred Newman
sides and the Eddy Howard stuff and a couple of other things but quickly
resold the vast majority to Oberstein. He reissued everything from Dale
Evans to Louis Prima. Bob Porter did a matrix listing in Record
Research. Some of the Guarnieri sides originally came out on Majestic in
the 75-cent white label 1000 series. The Varsity sides came out in
1948-9, a few of these were pressed by Columbia and sound great.
Which sides do you have on the Varsity label?
DJD
===========
I have three Johnnie Guarnieri Varsitys:

Varsity 293 Nobody's Sweetheart/Jealous
Varsity 294 Mean To Me/My Gal Sal
Varsity 295 Make Believe/Exactly Like You

There are some alternative Guarnieri Majestic takes floating around. I
think "Body & Soul" is available in trio and solo versions. Will check
them out.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4458 (20090925) __________

http://www.eset.com