[78-L] Fwd: Wilma Cozart Fine

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Sep 25 12:14:43 PDT 2009

This is an excellent and extensive article,

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/mercury.html

and it provides me with a reliable source to cite for a piece of
information I already knew.  I had wanted to comment earlier that there
was a serious flaw in the Stereophile obit which praised Mrs. Fine for
the first mono Living Presence recordings.  She had nothing to do with
them -- she did not join Mercury until 2 or 3 years after those records
came out.  David Hall was the producer of all of the early mono-only
Mercury classical records.  We are being treated with the same gung-ho
shoddy research by modern journalists in the Stereophile article by
Kalman Rubinson as we are with the Steinweiss book which incorrectly
claims Steinweiss invented the illustrated album cover which changed
records from being packaged in plain brown wrappers.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com