[78-L] Acoustical blue wax Hawaiian

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Sep 24 20:11:05 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Han Enderman" <jcenderman at solcon.nl>
> This appears to be more complicated than expected.
> I saw the A-1935 release nr, thus originally an acoustical recording from
> the ca. mid-1910s,
> in a blue wax repressing (early 30s) and with a black label from the 1920s
> (it needs some additional research to date these more exactly, but this is
> a ca.1926-1928
> label type, considering the Jan 13/May 23 patent dates in the rim text).
> Looking for the recording date in ODP [Ty's Online Discogr Project], I
> found Dec 1915.
> I had several gold band label images of A-1935, but did not notice the
> different mxs & credits.
> Here is what I have about A-1935 'On The Beach...':
> 1st edition should be Magic Notes label, which I have for images of A-1933
> (Prince's Band mx 46110),
> A-1934 (Taylor Trio mx 46311-12) and A-1976 (Jolson).
> Sherman-Nauck (Columbia) give ca.1917 as start of gold band label.
>
> I have 3 images with gold-band label and different printing date codes (at
> 3h):
> IY = Sep 1918 by Louise & Ferera, mx 46310. Title spelled ... Waikike -
> Medley. Descr.: Ukulele Duet.
> GX = Jul 1919 as before (IY), but different label type (see rim text).
> HW = Aug 1920 by Ferera & Franchini, mx 79093. Title ... Waikiki ! Another
> label type, without price.
> Descr.: Hawaiian Guitar Duet. This is the new 16 Mar 1920 recording, which
> agrees with the label date.
> Black label (Jan 13/May 23 patent dates in the rim text) as HW version,
> with different lay-out.
> Maybe old label blanks were used for this blue wax pressing, or the record
> already had been
> repressed ca. 1926 on black shellac and there were left-over labels (?).

The "date codes" on Columbia labels 1917-21 indicate the date that the
labels were printed (or
ordered?). Note that I specifically collect Columbias with the "bar-less"
early version of the
"gold-band" label; their numbers seem to be in the A-20* range. Most likely,
Columbia
pressed some with the "notes"label in the disc's first version, but quickly
started pressing
the disc with gold-band labels thereafter...?!

Since Columbia would have ordered/received quantities of the "Viva-Tonal"
black
labels, they simply continued using them on any post-1925 pressings. As
well, any
Columbias pressed in the 1932-35 period would have been on "blue wax"
blanks.

Finally, laminated Columbias used "outside layers" of shellac with much less
grainy
filler added, so they would play more quietly!

Steven C. Barr