[78-L] 1959 78 rpm Columbia acetate

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 23 19:41:28 PDT 2009

It wouldn't surprise me if they still used *lacquers* for reference copies well
past the 1957 cutoff for 78s. And I've seen film playback discs that were 78
lacquers as late as "They Shoot Horses, Don't They". Ten-inch lacquers were
also used to cut 45RPM masters and may still be.

The Canadian Columbia 78s continued to be pressed from parts supplied by CBS
and weren't dubs, unlike Compo and Victor and Quality and Sparton (denks gott).
Hell, many of the 78s we got in the later years were not only dubs, they were
dubs from 45s, not even tape masters.

dl