[78-L] opposites which mean the same - was :Grammaticallyincorrect^ [FWD]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Sep 22 19:39:23 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Harkin" <harkinmike at yahoo.com>
>> > It find it disconcerting that in today's society, the
>> words "cool" and
>> > "hot" mean the same thing.
>
> As do "I could  care less," and "I couldn't care less...."

Actually, not exactly...and only because the second phrase is often MISused
by
folks who do so out of habit, and without understanding the language they
are
TRYING to use...?!

"I could care less" is actually a sarcastic statement...meaning that the
party actually
could NOT care less (which makes the second version more accurate, but loses
its tone of sarcasm...?!).

Steven C. Barr