[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 10:29:39 PDT 2009

According to the OED, "dis" as a clipped form of the verb "disrespect" is attested from
1980 (in a rap song, at that), although like many other such terms it was probably used
in spoken language for some time before that. It seems to have entered broader usage
closer to 1989-90.

Apropos of slang, I was rather confused the first time I heard Ada Jones' "Row, Row,
Row" on Victor from 1912. I didn't yet know that "wisenheimer" was slang for "wise guy"
in those days so I considered it odd that Johnny would be given that appellation when
his last name had already been revealed as "Jones". I know better now, though. ;-)

-HA