[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Mon Sep 21 06:49:49 PDT 2009

I'm offering a true, but not verbatim exchange between my sister and her
adopted biracial daughter.   My mother always taught my sister and me to
speak correctly, and would correct our grammar and pronunciation if we
didn't.  My sister did the same with her daughter but when she got older,
the young lady adopted the usage of many of her classmates in Jacksonville
who were black.   When my sister tells her that it is floor and not flo, the
girl snaps back, "Why do you want me to speak 'white' ".

Ron L