[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Sep 20 22:45:12 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Thornton" <fnarf at comcast.net>
> Steven C. Barr writes:
>> The harsh reality is that "DIS(s)" meaning "disrespected"
>> emanates from a
>> cultural (usw.) minority NOT noted for observing, or even
>> comprehending,
>> grammatical details of our mother tongue...?!
>
> I'm sorry, but I have a little trouble accepting this ignorant and racist
> diatribe from someone who has ended every sentence he's ever written with
> three dots, a question mark and an exclamation mark.
>
> "Disrespect" dates from 1614 as a verb and 1634 as a noun. The clue phone
> is
> ringing.

Given the (dubious) accuracy of the above...can YOU provide an explanation
for the popular 21st-century term, "dis?!" I'm not questioning how far back
the
word "disrespect" might go...I'm questioning how far back the 3-letter short
form goes as far as regular use?!

As far as "ignorant and racist"...well, perhaps our offended author could
tell us how many Black (and/or other non-Caucasian?!) friends and/or
acquaintances HE (she/it?) happens to have? As a blues performer, I am
personally acquainted with a fair number of Black performers; in fact, I
once, with Billy Branch (a Black US blues artist of note!), took the
stage at Artis' Tap...a blues club on east 97th Street, in the heart of
Chicago's Black "ghetto"...and was complimented on my performance
by Blacki people attending the show!

Na und?!

Steven C. Barr