[78-L] Grammatically incorrect

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Sep 20 19:16:40 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna Halper" <dlh at donnahalper.com>
> There are some errors up with which I will not put!  (Was always
> taught never to end a sentence with a preposition... but sometimes,
> it's unavoidable...)

As I recall, there is an old witticism on this subject which is supposedly
a quote of Winston Churchill...?! The line itself, however, seems to have
departed my aging mind/memory...?!

OTOH, there IS the classic line supposedly uttered by a young children
in regards to his/her/its "bedtime story"...?!

"Why did you bring a book upstairs that I didn't want to be read to out
of up for?!"

Then again, the whole thing MAY be a mis-interpretation of a complaint
from radical women's groups...which actually cautioned against ending a
sentence with a prOposition...?!

Finally, were I to be unceremoniously "flung into the can"...and then
offered
an early release, logically ending in "OUT"...I would be quite literally
"ending
a sentence with a preposition...?!"

Steven C. Barr