[78-L] MAJESTIC Records questions

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Sep 18 20:10:00 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Stern" <sternth at attglobal.net>
> 78discography has listings for the 1940's issues, prior to the 1948
> bankruptcy, dissolution and
> sale of Majestic Records.
> there are news items in Billboard indicating the record operation was
> revived in Hollywood c.1951.
> Does anyone have information or listings of the  records issued?
>  In particular, records in a 100 series, designated 78-1nn....???

Majestic basically took over Obie's HIT label and extended its 1xxx and
7xxx series(es). I have NEVER heard of/encountered a 1xx series; however,
there were other seies, most notably a 12xxx, issued during Majestic's 1945-
1948 existence. Note that the "discographitazion" of the post WWII period
is minimal...logically so, given the huge number of "ephemeral" labels of
that period! I have YET to see any discographic mention of my "Okie"
record...nor do I expect any...?! Some of the short-lived labels of this era
may have issued a dozen...or even ONE...record during their brief lives,
and their "ledgers" (IF they existed?!) are probably lying in some landfill
some-unknown-where...?!

Should any 78-L listener see fit to rise to this implied challenge, note
that
the complete run of Billboard is accessible via Google...and many record
releases were either announced or advertised therein! Mr. Daniels' "sequel"
to my Dating Guide is currently out of print, AFAIK; other works in that
area are nowhere nearly as orginized nor usable?!

Steven C. Barr