[78-L] Titular opposites

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Sep 18 06:15:42 PDT 2009

From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>
> How about "Massachusetts" and "California Here I Come" for opposites

I think that either "I'm Going South" or "I Wants To Stand On Dixieland"
would be better opposites to "California Here I Come" than is
"Massachusetts."  For the latter I would suggest
"M I S S I S S I P P I".

From: Steven C. Barr
>> On the Good Ship Lollipop
>> He Played His Ukulele As the Ship Went Down

> You're on shaky ground with this one. Lollipop was an airplane.
> Ron L

Not true.  She sang the song on an airplane, but all of the allusions in
the song lyrics relate to a ship, such as "the sunny beaches on
Peppermint Bay" and "happy landings on a Chocolate Bar".  But "Big Rock
Candy Mountain" might be a good opposite to Good Ship, as might "Salt
Peanuts" be good for both.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com