[78-L] WW II "Propaganda" Songs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Sep 17 10:56:13 PDT 2009

 My favorite title was "We're Gonna Knock the Hit out of Hitler" but it
turned out to be a lousy song when I finally found a copy.  Similar to
the discussion of post-war songs, Perry Como's "A Hubba Hubba Hubba (Dig
You Later)" is a classic anti Jap song.  There have been a number of LPs
and CDs that have joined a lot of the WW II songs together.  If we take
offense at the Charlie and His Orch. records for their anti-Churchill,
anti-FDR, and anti-Semite ism, consider what the Germans would have
thought about "Der Fuhrer's Face"!  Charlie was rather mild compared to
it.

Remember the lines that Tom Lehrer wrote in "The Folksong Army"
concerning the War Against Franco:  "They may have won all the battles,
but we had all the good songs."

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com