[78-L] question on tape baking

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 16 20:08:07 PDT 2009

Actually, you can expect to have problems with virtually all Shamrock tape
except brown oxide 1.5 mil (smooth back)..most of the black oxide smooth-backed
tape won't respond to baking but might have to be cold-played (see below). It
may be the same as Ampex 291, which was sold as for educational use.

Shamrock was known by other names including Emerald (similar green boxes) and
Brentwood (black boxes, sold by Woolco). And Radio Shack sold a lot of it in
the early 80s as Concertape.

An ARSC Journal from 2008 has a lengthy article by Richard Hess about various
forms of tape degradation, complete with photos..one of them showing a Revox
inside a refrigerator, with a jug of milk beside it. Next time I'm shopping for
a fridge I'd better make sure it can accommodate a tape recorder, let alone a
pizza.

dl