[78-L] South Pacific alternate tape takes

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Sep 16 13:37:16 PDT 2009

Last week Leah spotted an early CD of the South Pacific orig cast when
we were visiting at a friend, and when we checked out Carefully Taught,
sure enough there was an edit at the end.  This means it is from the
tape master rather than the lacquer safeties which had previously been
used on all releases.   Knowing for sure which edition to look for (and
knowing that I have not been able to find my copy of it for as long as
the controversy was known) we hunted it out on Ebay and the one we won
for 3 bucks just arrived. (Amazon prices are high on this edition, --
those sellers seem to know.)  A preliminary listen just using computer
speakers leads me to hear, along with the possibility of added reverb,
that there might be altered perspective in some recordings that might be
the identical takes to those that were actually used.  I hear fewer
strings in the overture but think it is the same take because of a break
in tempo that matches what I remember on the original.  Dites-Moi sounds
like a SOLO rather than a duet.  The other kid is there but I remember
there being a good balance between them on the original, and I think the
older girl dominates here.

I haven't had a chance to do a synchronized playing yet, but COULD THERE
BE SOME ACCIDENTAL STEREO HERE??????????

To help you out in the identification, the CD has a horrible quality
reproduction of the replacement color cover that was used on the LP,
with a blue border on all four sides, and a 1973 copyright date on the
tray liner and back cover of the booklet.  Some have a blue "Best Value"
sticker on the jewel box. Red letters on a white spine, wide white
stripe on the left rear with the price code, and the rest of the back is
blue.  Song titles are in black, but "Martin/Pinza . South Pacific" is
in white, as is the walking eye at the bottom center.  Disc is very
plain with no performer credits at all.   Catalog number is CK 32604,
matrix number is 1A CK32604 01   B .  To tell immediately if you have
the right (meaning: wrong) one, listen to the end of Carefully Taught.
In the correct original he sings "You've got to be carefully taught"
twice with a high note on the first "taught".  In the edited version he
ends just singing the line once with no high note.  The track times at
1:14 on the readout.

If anybody has an edition that looks like this but does not have the
edited track, PLEASE let us know and tell us what the matrix number is.
I know that the version with the restored green and yellow anchor cover
is remastered without the edit, but did they correct it before changing
the packaging?

When they redid the disc, does anyone know if the abandoned the tape
master entirely and went with the lacquer safties?  Columbia has just
come out with a new bunch of Orig Cast CDs in board sleeves instead of
jewel boxes.  Anybody know if the disc is different in this new edition.
 I've seen some of the others in a store but not this one, but I think
the Amazon picture with a black stripe on the top and bottom might be
this edition, while a white rectangle at the bottom center for Sony
Columbia is what the jewel box edition might be.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com