[78-L] Just curious.. ^

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 22:34:12 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> My point was that the SAME wording was used in the e-mail I received yesterday
> as was in the very first ones I got on opening my e-mail account in 1990. There
> have been variations, but I find it fascinating that the same form letter is
> still being perpetrated. Obviously I also win lotteries (3 this morning, I
> think) and receive invitations to enlarge certain body parts..virtually all of
> this is trapped by a very efficient spam filter, except for the odd one such as
> the one I cited last night. Kind of nice to find a consistency in a very
> inconsistent world.
>
> dl
-----------------
There is a scam that I've heard about but haven't experienced. It goes
like this:

The scammer sends out, say, 2,000 messages about the value of British
Telecom shares. One thousand say they are going up, and the other
thousand that they are going down. If BT shares go up, then he writes to
500 of the first thousand "predicting" that BT shares are going up
again, and the other 500 that they are going down.

So, for 500 recipients ("mugs"), the scammer has twice correctly
predicted the movement of BT shares. Whichever way the shares go, he
writes to the mugs who have received the correct "prediction" asking
them, as a favour to send him some reward for advising them correctly.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4425 (20090914) __________

http://www.eset.com