[78-L] Just curious.. ^

Steve Thornton fnarf at comcast.net
Mon Sep 14 12:21:06 PDT 2009

Experts on these scams estimate that at any given moment there is always at
least one person sitting in a London hotel lobby with a suitcase full of
cash waiting for their Nigerian scammer to show up. Some people --
reasonable, intelligent people with successful careers and families -- have
been lured all the way to Nigeria.

This scam is hundreds of years old; it's essentially the same as the
"Spanish Prisoner" scam that purported to have a line on Sir Francis Drake's
fortune. People suckered in by that one continued to believe that their
money was due and coming soon long after the scammer was imprisoned.

Today, it's popularly called "Nigerian" even though none of the participants
may be from Nigeria. As for the spam itself, you should realize that 99% of
the all email is spam. Any variations you notice in the amount of spam that
shows up in your inbox is due only to the endless cat-and-mouse game that
spammers and spam filter writers play. It bears no relation to the total
amount of spam, which is ever-increasing. You are getting many thousands of
spams a day that you never see.