[78-L] Extra long Lps, was Re: 10" vs. 12" LPs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Sep 13 12:48:29 PDT 2009

From: Bertrand CHAUMELLE <chaumelle at orange.fr>
> What about the Trimicron MDR LPs ? Up to 60 minutes of music
> in stereo per side. MDR was E. Rabe's process (Magnetic Disc Recording).

Was this magnetic or a mechanical grooved system?

> MDR also invented a videodisc system (12", 20 minutes per side,
> 120rpm). It was demonstrated in Paris in 1974; the same machine
> could be used to play LPs, too.

So this was grooved?  Of course there was the RCA CED grooved videodisc
and Leah and I have well more than 100 of these.

> I've never seen an evaluation of the system in print,
> but I own several of their 12" and 7" records.  BC

Fine grooved 33 1/3?

David Lennick a écrit :
> > (Notice I typed "Lps" and not "LPs"?)

I actually now treat this as a Columbia trademark and only use it (if I
remember to do it!) when referring to the early Columbia issues.  They
eventually forgot also, I think.

Michael Biel wrote:
>>> There was a company in Revere, Mass. which mainly issued
>>> sports LPs, Fleetwood, I got a Boston Pops album of theirs
>>> a few months ago, and they promoted it as a coupling of two
>>> full albums on one disc.

> > I also have a Boston Pops disc that runs 45 minutes a side,
> > put out by Radio Shack.  dl

I think that is the same one.  Fleetwood was like Garabedian and did a
lot of their records as promotional pieces that companies would use as
giveaways of loss leaders.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com