[78-L] The Beatles on 78

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 13 08:54:09 PDT 2009

At 14:11 13/09/2009, Kristjan wrote:
>Why shellac, BTW?
>I'd go for some nice oldschool celluloid or hard rubber discs in the first
>place. And a few direct cut zinc plates for the connoisseur.
>Kristjan

I agree -- the point the commemorative issues would be to
create  modern re-productions of the originals -- so vinyl or
celluloid would be great as long as they 'looked' reasonably close to
the originals. I'm not sure what the Indian or Philippine's
Parlophones are pressed on, but I know that my Cliff Richard 78 of
the Young Ones on Philippine's Parlophone and the Herb Alpert's The
Mexican Shuffle from 1964 on Indian Stateside (and EMI label) aren't shellac.

The last 78 that I know of is the was the 2000 commemorative release
on HMV of with Robbie WIlliams on one side (Millennium) and the Royal
Albert Hall Orchestra doing Elgar Enigma Variation's on the other, so
EMI can do it! Surely doing at least the acetate of That'll be the
Day is more important than a Robbie Williams song.