[78-L] Blistering exchange between Leonard Feather and Chris Albertson

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Sat Sep 12 21:44:24 PDT 2009

My semi-humble dos centavos:
Jeff's pain was legitimate but Feather had been foisting his twee bullsh*t on fine jazz musicians for years. He deserved a good horselaugh.
I believe Feather's wife actually wrote the lyrics for the Dinah Washington Keynotes.
He was also the major exploiter of the moldy fig vs. bop pseudo-controversy in the late '40's.
When reading his notes for sessions he did not himself produce, the sh*t to shinola ratio is uncomfortably high. He simply didn't do his homework, preferring to crib from outdated sources in his files.
I recall listening to an early 1950's Teagarden record that had a rather nice piano solo. I was stunned when I checked the notes and found that ol' Featherweight was on the ivories.
On second listen I suspect he had gone back and overdubbed a second piano track.
I had a nice conversation with Chris a few years back and he struck me as a very straightforward guy who was more than a little weary of dealing with inflated egos like Feather's.
Leonard was alway one of those "good news-bad news" kinda guys: "Hey Cozy, the good news is you got a record date. The bad news is you'll be waxing Mop Mop, Goop Goop, Dreck Dreck and Tickle My @ss with a Feather Blues.
DJD
Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com