[78-L] Was there a Volume Two?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Sep 12 17:22:46 PDT 2009

I finally got a mint condition copy of the 12-inch LP "An Edison
Memorabilia of Musical Performances 1888-1929, Album 1 of a Series
Produced by the Thomas Alva Edison Foundation", RCA Victor matrix
numbers UR4S 1029 and 1030.  Although the cover cites 1888, the earliest
recording is from 1910.  Were there ever any other volumes?  I seem to
recall that this was the only one.  Side One was "Gems from the Edison
Diamond Amberols" and Side Two was "Classical Gems From the Edison
Discs".  I haven't played it yet, but it is noted as "Dual Track to be
played only on stereo equipment" having been made with "a revolutionary
re-recording process invented by the Edison Foundations's director of
Re-recording, Professor Walter L. Welch".

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com