[78-L] 10" vs. 12" LPs

Matthew Duncan duncdude2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 12 11:57:06 PDT 2009

In the UK 10" and 12" LPs came out pretty simultaneously in 1950 on the Decca label - classical and opera on 12" discs and a selection of marching band and popular fare on the 10" records...jazz/big band style appeared the following year, mainly on 10" LPs.

Columbia entered into the LP market in the same manner but in 1952 and HMV and Parlophone (and Parlophone-Odeon the opera side of the label) in 1953 the only difference being that HMV had a larger jazz catalogue than the Decca and Columbia labels but again using this on 10" discs only as a rule until about 1955 as did Columbia when the company issued some Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson material on 12" LPs.

Smaller labels like Good Time Jazz and Vogue started with LPs in 1952-54 and mainly 10" items to start off with and Tempo followed in maybe 1956 with mainly 12" LPs - all jazz or blues.

10" LPs remained around in Britain until 1960 for new releases with Billy Fury on Decca (Sound of Fury) and some comedy was released on major labels in the early 60s on 10" LPs too....some prior comedy releases like Peter Sellers' Best Of Sellers 10" LP from 1958 were still in print long into the 60s.

But as for US LPs...not too sure!! I have several Columbia House Party LPs with 3 tracks a side by the likes of Benny Goodman which appear to be mid 50s and I guess these remained in the catalogue at least to the late 50s but maybe no more new issues were being made by then....

Matthew.