[78-L] The Beatles on 78

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 12 09:13:38 PDT 2009

Because it is only tangentially aligned with 78s, it should come as
no surprise that no one here mentioned the re-release of the entire
Beatles (original) catalogue on CD. This is no doubt to the joy of
many here. Troublemaker that I am, I shall do so and just have.

That said, a few comments, if only to hear my own typing. I do feel a
wee bit ripped off. EMI packaged everything in digi-paks and not
proper jewel cases, meaning that the packaging is easily ruined
because it is all cardboard. These suckers will look like crud in a
few years. Then there is the mono set -- with all the originally
released mono lps available on CD. The key word is 'set'. Yep -- no
individual issues -- they did a Bear Family on the buying public.

But enough about that -- what I would love to see EMI do as regard
78s is the following: a commemoration of the Beatles on 78 via a
limited edition re-issue/ reproduction of the Indian  78 rpm of Love
Me Do. I would also like to see a release to the pubic of a
commemorative 78 reproduction of the 78 rpm acetate of That'll be the
Day and In Spite of All the Danger as recorded in 1958. It would have
made a superb 50th anniversary collectors item last year.

But back to the Indian and Philippine's issues -- does anyone if EMI
in India released stuff in lock step with the UK release dates -- or
shortly thereafter. To the point, would the 78 of Love Me Do, as
catalogue number R 4949, have come out around the same time as the UK
45, or would EMI have essentially used a 'back' catalogue number for
a later release. A similar question goes for the Philippines release
of From Me to You as catalogue number EG 8883-1 via Mico
Manufacturing -- what would the release date have been for this.