[78-L] Day of Infamy Speech

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Sep 12 01:15:30 PDT 2009

My assumption is that the Blackhawk film has the two missing sentences.
It might also have the first sentence complete with all the pauses and
noise in the pauses, one of which is also missing in the film because it
was sometimes used without the opening word "Yesterday".  If I can
arrange with a friend in Maryland to do a digital transfer of your film,
we could probably edit together a complete film of the speech including
all of the applause.  As of now, the best visual version that ANY of the
archives has is the one from my C-SPAN broadcast.  Grinberg charged
C-SPAN $700 for the film for only the live broadcast and repeats that
weekend.  It is not available in the C-SPAN archive.  When they
delivered it in two pieces, the station compared it with the audio I had
given them and noticed that half of it was missing.  Grinberg found two
other pieces which nearly completed the speech.  Unfortunately C-SPAN
stupidly did not include the missing audio in the video edit with some
still pictures covering the gap.  But that is how they handled all the
rest of the radio recording -- they put pictures of the people speaking
and other scenes of the chamber on it, but didn't think to do that on
the gap in the speech.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com