[78-L] Day of Infamy Speech

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 11 19:37:11 PDT 2009

First of all, thanks to everyone who answered the thread. It is much appreciated.

Dr. B wrote:

Of course I have the entire broadcasts with the debate from the house of
representatives on CBS and Mutual, and the speech and commentary on NBC
all from the original discs, plus some home recordings, and both the
Victor and Columbia issues.  I also have the film (minus two sentences)
of the speech from the 3 1/2 hour C-SPAN telecast I did on the 50th
anniv, Dec 7, 1991.  The two missing sentences 2/3s of the way in the
speech came from the fact that it had to be pieced together from the
four segments the Sherman Grinburg archive had of the Fox Movietone
version.  Something got lost in the cuttings.  Ironically, Ray Wile
reminded me shortly after the telecast that Blackhawk Films had earlier
been selling the speech on 8 and 16 mm sound for more than a decade.
Neither the National Archive nor the Library of Congress had a film of
the total speech or any of the debate until my C-SPAN telecast.
What version were you asking about?

All of them really. I have found a home recording, 4 sides on 2 cardboard based Wilcox-Gay discs which run at 33.3 rpm. I haven't heard enough of them yet to determine which Network they are sourced from. They sound pretty good, but if the original discs from CBS and Mutual are around then they won't sound as good as such sources. But apart from side changes, these appear pretty complete; what places I spot checked show that the recordist captured at least a couple of minutes prior to the speech and at least some commentary after.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com