[78-L] music for exercising

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Sep 8 15:20:48 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna Halper" <dlh at donnahalper.com>
>I just found an advertisement from mid August 1922 for Victor
> Records-- it was in a number of newspapers.  It advertised a
> "Portable Victrola No. 50" and a set of exercise records.  As you all
> know, I am not an expert in the machines of the 78 era-- so, was
> there a portable Victrola number 48 or 49, or was 50 just a brand
> name?  Also, what  were the records that went along with the
> record-player?  The ad says the records were specially designed to be
> used in an exercise regimen-- but it doesn't explain what songs they
> were.  It just says they will enable people to "Exercise to
> Music".  The records are only described as "three double-faced Victor
> Records for Health Exercises," sold in a "compact container" and
> planned by an (alleged) authority named Professor Charles H. Collins.
> Any further explanation would be very interesting for me, and I'd
> appreciate it.

Seems to me that I own this set...in its original folder! Sadly, my shellac
archive was so badly scrambled by the dubious crew my landlady hired to
"clean out the joint" that I can no longer easily find specific 78's. I do
have some digital listings of my 78's...but on a Hard Drive which is no
longer installed on a working computer?!

IIRC, the three 78's bore catalog numbers in sequence. You might be able to
find them using Ty S's digital web site, which is based on the "Abrams
Files" (AFAIK, the files themselves can no longer be downloaded from Ron F's
78-based 78online.com site?!)?!

Steven C. Barr