[78-L] Hit Parader record ads and '58 acoustical recorder ad

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Sep 7 19:54:54 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Yup, they're all prominent CBC singers from the early 50s like Wally, Ed
> McCurdy, Eliot van Evera etc. In the "who the hell" category, there are
> also
> Canadian multi-track records on a label called Bijou or Disques Bijou,
> similar
> to Cameo with light blue labels and featuring French language versions of
> current early 50s hits..I have no idea who performs on these.

Hmm-m-m-m! It does seem logical (if not inevitable?!) that some enterprising
Quebecois would create a Francophone version of the MT 78's...?! One then
wonders if the relevant tracks were French-language versions of then-current
hits...or (if there WERE such?!) remakes of the "Quebec Top 40" insofar as
such a thing existed?!

Steven C. Barr