[78-L] A Folk Music Playlist covering ALL recording formats! WORTH reading!

Milan P Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 19:36:43 PDT 2009

> I've mentioned them in discussions here but could have included them in
> that list although I was doing mainly things used here in the U.S. in
> that reply.  The Decelith discs are one piece solid vinyl but the 3
> layer discs with the central white plastic core I remember being another
> name which also escapes me right now.  Is that what you are referring to
> as Decatone?

Don't know exactly. In fact I've seen Decatone label only, not the disc
itself. On the other side, I've included those photographs of such
translucent brown Decelith disc (clearly marked as such), and macro (closer
photograph) of cracked surface of the very same disc: 3 layers are clearly
visible - two layers above and below (also transparent, not filled white)
core in the middle.

> The Qualiton LPs of the Complete Bartok recordings indicate that some of
> the 1938 broadcast recordings were also made on x-ray film which REALLY
> surprised me.  I also thought it was only post war and cold war.  But
> the Soviet x-ray records I have seen were not on thick film but were on
> film that seems to be the same thickness as regular snapshot film.  That
> was the big surprise to me when I saw them (and got one example) when I
> spent the summer in Moscow in 1995.

Amazing they did the same before WWII, never heard of it. I've seen amateur
jazz recordings of various bands in Serbia, that were made around 1946. It
is rather usual X-Ray film, not thin as regular celluloid 35mm film, but
also not thick as Decelith foil, far thinner than that.

>>> and the othes side of Decelith foils marked as one sided (were also
> recordable, but in worse sound, unless marked as two sided recordeable).
>
> The Deceliths I've seen and have have a white printed label on one side.
> Is that the recordable side?  I've never seen any indication that one
> side was better than the other, or any notice to use this side only or
> not to use the other side.

Those black non - transparent Decelith foils I've seen were used only on one
side for German radio recordings during the WWII. There was only one side
marked with black label and grey stamped usual Decelith logo, and
technicians used only that one side with label. The other side has no label,
and no recording were engraved on this side regularly. Later, Radio Belgrade
sold their war time German archive and recording enthusiasts who recorded
postwar jazz orchestras used the opposite (not marked) side for their
recording sessions and location recordings in various ballrooms around 1946.
Or they dubbed Nat King Cole records on those non-acceptable sides. It is
rather weird experience: one side with Nazi propaganda, and the other side
with "If I Had You" Nat Cole Trio...