[78-L] Hit Parader record ads and '58 acoustical recorder ad

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Sep 4 21:39:09 PDT 2009

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> First...I have NEVER seen a MT (multi-track) 78 on a
> "Hit Parade" label...or anything similar!

As I mentioned, the ads do not specifically name what the record label
is.  My assumption is that the song listings might match up with records
you or someone might have, and thus we could find out that way what
records these ads are for.  But you haven't indicated any interest in
scans of these ads.

> This MAY be because I have found for the most part Canadian
> MT 78's (I have no way to acquire "junk" 78's in large lots
> from the US, while I have meanwhile acquired at least 40
> such records here in Canada!)...although my preliminary
> "research" suggests that the Canadian 78's were pressed
> from US masters (with one significant exception!).

But since the U.S. issues are probably the primary issues, you would
need to be able to trace what the U.S. versions are.

> Second...I have (IIRC) seen these "record yourself!" devices,
> in many cases, suggesting that the users could "record" onto
> their own 78rpm phonorecords (the ads don't make it clear
> whether the users could add their own "harmony" tracks to
> their records...or whether they were supposed to use blank
> areas on them...?!).

It is obvious that they do not intend for someone to try to record on a
regular existing pressing.  They intend for you to use recording blanks,
and the tracking disc will move the recording device over the disc.

> I also own a couple of "recording blank" discs credited to
> Plaza, which apparently came with similar devices back in
> the 1920's? According to the sleeves, the users could
> record these on their own acoustic players by simply
> singing/playing as loudly as possible into the horn
> aperture of their machines?!

We have discussed these things numerous times here and they are not at
all the same.  Those are pre-grooved zinc discs which only make a very
faint recording by making slight dents in the pre-groove.  This device
seems to use home-type lacquer coated discs.  The early one I saw in
England from the early 30s used blank uncoated aluminum discs.  In both
cases the discs were blank and the tracker disc was needed.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com