[78-L] Interesting article about one vinyl record processing plant

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Fri Sep 4 16:59:16 PDT 2009

"Milan P Milovanovic" <milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.cnet.com.au/where-vinyl-records-are-born-339290329.htm

Neat.

United is well-known in indie circles; not only are the just about the last ones standing, they've always been happy to deal with the small-lot seven-inch people. My wife used them years ago for her small label (500 copies each).

I have a friend who bought a record-pressing machine like the one in the picture. He thought he was going to be king. Instead, he found out just how difficult it is to run -- you can't just set that thing up in your basement. It requires a sturdy slab floor and industrial electricity. And more or less constant adjustment once you've got the ten million fiddly parts put together, which he never managed to do. And even if he had, he found out that the vinyl pellets are a semi-hazardous material, requiring all sorts of licensing and special handling, in California at least. I don't think he ever got a record out of the thing.