[78-L] Hit Parader record ads and '58 acoustical recorder ad

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Sep 3 23:37:13 PDT 2009

I got a bunch of fan magazines last week also several lyric magazines
including some Hit Parader from the 50s.  There are ads for sets of
cover records with three tracks per side, three records per set,
available on both "Closer Grooved" 78s and 45.  One is from June 1954
for Song Parade Co. of 318 Market St. Newark NJ.  They offer six sets,
one of them for Hit Parade Songs by Dean Martin & Others, and another 18
Collector's Songs by Snooky Lanson, Bill Lawrence, etc.  The ad also
mentions Jeff Clark Formerly of the Lucky Strike Hit Parade, and Arlene
James of NBC-TV and Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town.  The Square Dance
set is by Hap Williams and others.  The 18 Popular Latin Rhythm Mambo
Songs is by Tito Puente, Tito Rodriguez, and Joe Loco.

The November 1958 ad is for Best Values Co. 403 Market St Newark, and
has the same line-up for the Square Dance and Collectors Songs sets, but
all others are different.  What is striking is that they have a line of
pictures of seven name stars with the headline "FREE 2 hit parade record
songs by any of these stars with your order for hit parade records."
The stars are Perry Como, Patti Page, Frankie Lane, Rosemary Clooney,
Georgia Gibbs, Doris Day, and Elvis Presley.  When you look at the 24
Hit Parade Songs set it says "24 HIT PARADE SONGS Plus Two Free By Any
of the Stars Checked Making a Total of 26 for $2.98.  Here Are 24 of the
26 On Records."  Then they list 24 songs, and there is a checkoff of the
stars on the coupon.  It seems to me that they have a stock of cut-outs
by these performers and will throw one of them in the package!

These ads do not list record numbers or even tell what the exact record
label is, but the songs are listed.  They might help in Steve B's
endeavor and scans of the ads are available to him or anyone else.  So
these 78s continue thru 1958 at least.

ALSO, ACOUSTICAL RECORDING also continued thru 1958!!!  There is an ad
for a home recording kit that is "Not A Cheap Tape Recorder -- Makes
Actual Records"  It is a kit with a horn and acoustical head with a
cutter stylus and an attachment for a smaller grooved tracker disc to
guide the head along the record.  I had seen kits like this advertised
in the 30s and about 10 years ago someone told me that he remembered ads
for them in the 50s, but this is the first time I had seen one.  Scans
of this are also available.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com