[78-L] Belt for Edison Standard Phonograph

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 3 18:47:54 PDT 2009

Gentlemen (and ladies) of the list,

I posted a similar question to the list some time ago, but I don't believe I
had much response.

Does anybody have any tips on obtaining belts for Edison Standard
Phonographs?  Several months ago I broke my belt when I fitted a 4-minute
converter onto my phonograph.

The replacement material that I've obtained from two different vendors is
not the same as the belt I had (which was in very good condition until I
stupidly broke it!), and seems to me to be of inferior quality.

In any case, the splice and glue method to put the belt material together
doesn't seem to work very well.  Every time the splice passes over the
mandrel it wows like crazy.

I can't see that my original belt was constructed that way; I would be
interested to know other methods for building belts, or if it is possible to
purchase good quality belts that are already put together.

I wonder if there is a cylinder phonograph listserv that is similar to the
78-L?

Many thanks,
Sammy Jones