[78-L] New Sons of the Pioneers box

Alan Bunting alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 10:30:47 PDT 2009

--- On Wed, 2/9/09, Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com> wrote:

> Like just about every other BF box, the SOTP set is indeed
> for completists only.

One exception is their superb Billy Vaughn collection "Sail Along Silvery Moon" - the only Bear Family product I own and, so far as I know, the only non-vocal multi-CD collection they have produced.

Everything about this 6 CD set can only be described with superlatives (and it is not riddled with alternate takes).

The downside is that it only covers Vaughn's recordings up to 1958 - I gather that there was supposed to be a Volume 2 but it 's never appeared, presumably because of poor sales of the first part. A pity because most of the excellent albums he made which featured a full concert orchestra rather than the twin-sax sound he's known for came after 1958, although this set does include his Christmas Album, probably the best Xmas orchestral collection around.

Alan Bunting