[78-L] Not-So-Good Time Charlie

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sun Aug 30 17:30:11 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kristjan Saag" <saag at telia.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [78-L] Not-So-Good Time Charlie

Taylor Bowie wrote:

> I only recently discovered Charlie and his Orchestra/ snip/
> I learned from the net that the leader of the band apparently helped
> shelter some Jews during the
> war, and that he moved to the US after the war ended.
---
It was the singer, Karl Schwedler, who moved to the US in 1960.
The leader of the band, Lutz Templin, was employed by the US military,
immediately after the end of the war, to lead the dance orchestra of the US
administered Radio Stuttgart. A few years later he founded the dance
orchestra of Süddeutsche Rundfunk, one of several German post war radio
orchestras who also functioned as big bands and gave job opportunities to
European jazz musicians in the dark years of rock and roll...
Kristjan