[78-L] Roland Hayes discography?

Valerie Langfield rcq at minuet.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 29 23:48:03 PDT 2009

>The A440 issue prompts me to ask - Is there an online or print discography
>of Roland Hayes?
I looked in his autobiography _Angel Mo' and her son Roland Hayes_ by
MacKinley Helm (Little, Brown & Co: Boston, 1943) but there are no
appendices, not even an index. :( He does however describe how he cut up
5 records of spirituals because he felt the terms were 'ungenerous'
(p166-7). According to Jeffrey P. Green's article 'Roland Hayes in
London 1921', in _Black Perspectives in Music_, vol 10 no 1, Spring
1982, pp 29-42, this was in 1921, which ties in with your HMV item (but
perhaps you have this article already).

You've looked through the British Library's National Sound Archive in
London, their online catalogue, I imagine? (I've not looked to see what
there is there.) I was in touch briefly some years ago with his daughter
Afrika - she is/was a pianist with the Boston Ballet, and _her_ daughter
is/was a dancer. I don't know if there's any information available
through them.

I'd be _really_ interested to know what else you find - many, many
thanks for the discography so far.

Valerie

--
Valerie Langfield