[78-L] The NY Times article on Sophie is up already

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Sat Aug 29 12:51:25 PDT 2009

Great album - I've been waiting many years since it was announced.
I did not like the Mercury albums Tucker made late in her career so would
have
ignored her, but I heard the Edison "Some of These Days" on an Edison
Foundation compilation and was impressed,
then a flood of the 20s-30's material from many labels (Pelican, ASV,
Conifer, etc.
I think there was one from Columbia(US).  Lots of fun!
  Great to have these rare first recordings available (Edison cylinders,
Aeolian-Vocalion 1919,
the solitary issue on her own label, and the first 3 releases (six sides)
from Okeh).
  The sound quality is incredible, particularly the Edisons all other
versions I've heard
were wobbly and badly distorted -  these transfers are excellent.
Best wishes, Thomas.