[78-L] Hawaiian Trio on Canadian radio

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Fri Aug 28 19:11:58 PDT 2009

At 09:03 PM 8/28/2009, Stephen wrote:

>      CFCA operated sporadically from March, 1922, and did not begin regular
>      broadcasting until June.  So this trio likely was performing a one-off
>      concert.

Well, actually, CFCA went on the air under the calls of 9AH, the last
week in March.  (I'm a media historian, so I love finding out these
little tidbits.)  The station did a series of experimental broadcasts
over the next week and a half, got good response, and by the second
week in April, they were on the air each night with a concert at
7pm.  They then used the call letters CKCE.  Gradually, they expanded
their broadcast day, and began using CFCA on 22 June 1922.

Stephen also wrote--

>      (There were some Pritchard brothers who were boyhood friends of Bing
>      Crosby, and who played in local bands with him while still a Spokane
>      youth, but it would be a long shot that these are the same guys.)

One of the Pritchard Brothers who did the Hawaiian music was named
Syndey.  I'm investigating further!