[78-L] Jack Pettis [was Happy 100th, Prez!]

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Aug 28 11:54:14 PDT 2009

> Pettis provides those felicitous touches when he weaves in and out of
> the ensemble on many Bernie sides, rather like Harry Terrill did on alto
> with Mitchell Ayres a decade later.
>
> I can't think of any other examples where a sideman was able to do this,
> or a leader for that matter.
>

>      Julian Vein

I also enjoy Pettis' work with Bernie,  but I also think the band started to
really move forward when Dick Stabile replaced him in either late '28 or
'29.  Although he was primarily known for his alto work,  Stabile can be
found on Bernie records on clarinet,  tenor and baritone sax as well.  His
solo sides from the mid-30s which I have on Panachord are superb examples of
his amazing skill and jazz technique.

Julian,  what are some of the Ayers sides which feature Terrill?

Taylor