[78-L] Happy 100th, Prez!

Ate van Delden ate.vandelden at worldonline.nl
Fri Aug 28 01:46:01 PDT 2009

I like to add Jack Pettis to this list. He was filmed by Lee Deforest
playing the first sax solo with the Ben Bernie band. Before that he recorded
with the NORK. He always had a light tone. His instrument at the time may
have been the so-called C-melody sax, but he is basically regarded as
probably the first major white jazz saxophonist. Chilton's Who's Who has him
as a tenor player who started out on C-mel. But Rust's personnels ususally
have him playing clt/Cmelsax/ten for all sessions. Has it ever been figured
out if he really ever stopped using his C-mel?